Sunday, March 17, 2013

Family Relations Week 9

This week when we talked about communication, we talked about encoding. It is interesting to think that what we say isn't always as clear as we thing it is. We all have different ways of saying the same thing. It has been enlightening to pay attention to what I am saying and how I say it. I have noticed that if someone explains something back to me, they interpret it differently than I intended. It makes things more difficult, so how can we make things less confusing and interpret them correctly?
Also, I tried some advice that was given in a power point this week. The professor said when someone is telling you about something in your life, you repeat what they said back to them. It seems counter intuitive, but they think that you have solved their problem even though you haven't even given your opinion. I tried this with a roommate and her boy problems. Just like the professor said, she was satisfied with our conversation and felt better about a difficult situation. Sometimes we should stop trying to solve problems, but just listen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment